Wednesday 20 November 2013

Sigmun Freud - Psychoanalysis (Self Directed Project Researc)

I have been looking at key ideas by founder of Psychoanalysis - Sigmund Freud and how it will feed into my current self-directed projected 'Inside a Surgeon's Mind'. There are various tenets of Psychoanalysis,  but in particular I am concerned with the following:

- In addition to inherited constitution of personality, a person's development is determined by events in early childhood.
- Humans attitude, mannerism and experience is thought largely influenced by irrational drives that are unconscious.
- Conflicts that occur between conscious and unconscious, can materialise into the form of mental or emotional disturbances such as anxiety, depression, neurosis and neurotic traits.

The above areas intrigue me the most due to curiosity and memory being the themes that are the most present within my work.  I find myself questioning what the Surgeon's childhood and life experiences were like, how did they shape him during the transition from childhood to adulthood, how they affect him mentally and what conflicts occur in his mind?, what are his obsessions? What do his personal belongings look like? What elements does he preserve? - These are all questions I am currently asking and hopefully will respond to through my project.

 

I am reading FREUD by Anthony Storr as part of my research on Psychoanalysis.  I found the following quote very interesting as I want my character to display a high level of self control:

''Obsessional personalities usually exhibit self-control to the point of appearing inhibited and lacking in spontaneity''. Storr,p.9

No comments:

Post a Comment