Monday 23 September 2013

A meeting with a Guru!

I was very fortunate to meet Sam a recent Illustration graduate at a 'Guru' night held by our university.  I am so glad I had the opportunity as it has really inspired me more and opened doors to new ideas and opportunities.

Sam who I met with currently works as an Art Department Assistant for a Television Company based in Manchester, her role involves making props and mock objects to be used on set and as part of the scene setting.  Since I have a huge love for making things and creating worlds/invented persona's, this really triggered of possibilities that I had never thought about doing such as prop making, I am really keen to secure a voluntary placement within this area to gain some amazing experience!.  I hope to make contact with some prop houses around the Manchester area this semester, It would be a dream come true to be in a very making orientated environment.

I really enjoyed the Guru night, I also asked Sam about her experience during her degree at Stockport College, Sam explained how writing her journal was like a journey that led her to decide on the subject of her final major project, which I thought was really something in it's self, she also mentioned how important it is to just enjoy third year which I totally agree on as it goes so quickly!.  It was nice to relate to someone who has been through it all and knows how it feels.  I personally have thought more about grades than I have done in the previous 2 years, but as Sam mentioned, I just don't want to think about them! I think you get out what you put in.  Another really valuable point that Sam talked about was just getting yourself out there and seeking opportunities and just doing it, and trying not to worry!.

I walked away feeling reassured, very inspired and excited about third year!.

No comments:

Post a Comment