Tuesday 1 October 2013

A day in a Prop House!

I spent all of Monday working in a Prop House with one of the other students on my course, what a way to spend a Monday!.  After meeting with my Guru the other week, I was very lucky to be given a contact for a Manchester based Prop House that has turned out to be a great opportunity.  The Prop House was amazing, full of every type of prop, oddity, mask, skull and furniture from every era!.  It was such a great feeling to be surrounded by a lot of things that made me think creatively all day!

Are task was to archive and organise different sections of the department, to enable buyers and art department assistants to be able to access what they were looking for and also to interact/engage with the style of prop they need, this was done by visually merchandising some of the props such as wooden Victorian book shelves and displaying vintage/old books on them to show how they would appear on set.  Despite being covered in black dust by the end of the day, it really was a valuable experience.

I will be doing this role once a week on a Monday which I think will be really stimulating for ideas/journal writing!, hopefully we can get a little more involved with helping making props that can't be sourced!.

No comments:

Post a Comment