I have decided to start posting 'reflection' posts after each module, firstly to get into a routine of doing it, and secondly as a record of my progress through my degree so that I can look back and identify on areas I have done well in or areas that may need a little work.
I have just finished the third brief for Gay Straight Alliance which is the final brief for the Dialogue Ignites Change module.
I found this project the most challenging so far due to sensitivity of the project and ensuring that I communicate the relevant meaning that both visuals and non-visuals will get. The visual problem solving was very challenging in the way I had to represent a stereotypical perception and also the reality, but then I questioned what was reality? and also people are so diverse!. I found it easy to discuss my challenges and progress with clients from the GSA as they were understating and sympathetic to the challenges we faced along the way. I also found it a real confidence boost when they liked my ideas!.
I just kept drawing and drawing ideas in rough and developing ideas, that way ideas kept popping up in my mind and ideas stemmed from one another. I also think meeting with the clients helped as they narrowed my choice down by selecting two of my ideas, Mr Gay Buns and Gingerbread Men!.
At present I am making final drawings of Mr Gay Buns and the recipe and then I shall add colour on Photoshop so I haven't had client feedback on finished ideas as of yet, I will post more on this later.
This project has been challenging but a great learning curve in terms of problem solving visually. Doing projects like this are really interesting as the push you out of your comfort zone, inspire you to learn about other people and cultures and also get you out of the university bubble.
There are some images from my sketchbook on my previous post about the GSA Project Research.